Monday, June 28, 2010

Been There, Done That Bride Part One: Amanda Tauro

I know I've said this before, but this week, I'm really, really excited about our Been There, Done That Bride for two reasons: 1) they are dear friends of mine and 2) there are TWO of them.

I can't remember a day in my life when I didn't know these two so it brings me great joy to share their Big Day with you.

What makes their story so unique? Well it all happened one sunny July day when BOTH ladies become engaged on the same day. Fast forward a bit and suddenly they are getting married seven weeks apart and are each other's Matrons of Honor.

I don't want to give away too much, so I'll let Been There, Done That Bride #1 take it away-

Why are you a “Been There, Done That” Bride?
I consider myself to be a “Been There, Done That” Bride because I not only successfully planned our wonderful August wedding but helped in the planning process of my sister’s wedding as well. Everything began on a hot and muggy July day that will never be forgotten because not only did my sister get engaged that morning but Eric had also planned on proposing to me that night in front of all of our closest friends and family. By the days end my sister and I were both newly engaged and we knew that the planning that was ahead of us would be one of the most memorable times in our lives. The most interesting part of this was that our weddings were only 7 short weeks apart from each other. My sister and I were about to embark on a new journey of our lives and we were able to celebrate and enjoy every little detail and decision that came along with it.

What surprised you most about your wedding planning?
I think the thing that surprised me the most about the wedding process was the fact that there really are so many more details and decisions that are made behind the scenes of weddings that aren’t known of. Before planning my own wedding I don’t think I really understood what went into the whole planning process but now that I have been both a bride and a Matron-of-Honor myself, I am able to take in every small detail from the centerpieces to the color of the seating cards. Weddings truly are wonderful and are the perfect way to remember your big day. I have such an appreciation for future brides and their families!

What caused you the most stress during your wedding planning? How was it handled?
I really think that the wedding planning process wasn’t as stressful as it may have been for some other people. We got all of the big things done in the very beginning of the planning, that way there wasn’t as much that needed to be done in the end. I will say however that the last three months were more stressful than the beginning and I think that was because the planning was coming to an end. We were now trying to tie up all the lose ends and get the last minute details all taken care of. I made list upon list and then reorganized those lists which only lead to me getting more overwhelmed which is where my husband stepped in. He would go through the list and write something after each and every task listed, whether it was helpful or not. He knew just how to calm me down and I am so thankful for this!

What could you have absolutely not lived without during the planning?
The things that I wouldn’t have been able to live without during the wedding planning would have to be my husband, family and Post-Its!!! I can’t even begin to explain how supportive and easy going my husband was throughout the whole process and whenever I got nervous or stressed about anything he knew just how to calm me down and let me know that it really was going to be ok. Furthermore, my mother and sister were also a saving grace to me; knowing that I always had them to bounce ideas off of was amazing, they were my perfect sounding board! My last savior had to be Post-Its, and although I had to replenish my supply multiple times I couldn’t have imagined being able to keep all of the details straight without my many lists.

What would you have done differently?
I think the one thing that my husband I would have wanted to do differently would have been to have a Videographer. In the beginning of the planning process Eric and I thought that it wasn’t completely necessary to have a Videographer but one of our friends had it done and there really were so many more special moments that were captured. If there is something that you really feel like you can’t go without, then do it! Your wedding will be that much more memorable with a memento that will last you throughout your many years of wedded bliss.

If you had one piece of advice to share with our brides, what would it be?
My one piece of advice to all of the other Brides out there would be to truly enjoy the whole process. Although it may get stressful at times and you may not think you will be able to get through it all, remember “Don’t sweat the small stuff!” Your guests aren’t going to notice that the table linens don’t perfectly match the color of the bridesmaids dresses or that the chairs for the ceremony aren’t perfectly even on each side. Remember to enjoy all of the little moments and the precious memories for you will only do this once and you may as well do it with a bang! The day is all about you and your soon to be husband and nothing else matters!

Amanda is proof that with enough support and a great attitude, you can enjoy planning your wedding AND being a Matron of Honor all at the same time. A steady supply of Post Its doesn't hurt either. :)

What about the other sister? Well stay tuned for tomorrow, as we feature Melissa.

Interested in being featured? Simply email me at meghan {at} ofdconsulting {dot} com. Have friends trying to plan their Big Day? Then join us August 15 at Wedology 101!

Cheers,
Meghan


Meghan Ely is one part of the Wedology 101 team, and owner of OFD Consulting, a niche Marketing/PR firm servicing the wedding industry and the Managing Director of the Richmond Bridal Association. She is a contributing writer with Virginia Bride magazine, and has been published in Premier Bride Richmond. She and Jennifer write a Wedology 101 column for the Richmond Times Dispatch's Celebration section. She loves late harvest sauvignon blancs, letterpress anything and cakes shaped like Death Stars.

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome story! How fun to be able to share the experience of being engaged and planning a wedding with your sister. I can’t wait to read her interview, too!

    ReplyDelete